Joins us for our 63rd Season!
Registration is now open for our 2022-2023 season. Registration and excerpts are available below.
Next important date: July 15th (Early Registration and Video Submission)
Fill out the registration form.
Pay the registration fee.
Submit your recording.
Schedule your live audition.
*If you are a high school graduate and currently enrolled in a university, you automatically qualify for a 20% tuition discount. College students who have previously auditioned into Symphony Orchestra do not have to submit an audition, but are not eligible for principal positions.
Check out our helpful audition hints before recording your video.
Early Registration and Recording Submission Deadline:
($20 audition fee applied to tuition)
July 22nd, 23rd
August 5th, 6th
July 16th-August 30th
($40 audition fee, not applicable towards tuition. Only August 5th, 6th, and September 8th in-person auditions available)
All applicants (new and returning) must submit the following:
- An audition video (including a scale, your solo excerpt, and the orchestral excerpt for your instrument and the ensemble your are auditioning for) by July 15th.
- Select an in-person audition date.
(During your live audition, you will only play your solo excerpt.)
To upload your video to YouTube directly from your mobile device:
- Open your YouTube app on your mobile device.
- Tap the “upload” button (usually an up-arrow or plus) and select your video from your gallery.
- Set Privacy to “Unlisted,” enter your title and description, and press Upload.
- When you are finished, tap the “share” icon. Copy the link to your clipboard for your share link.
- If you need more help, click here.
For orchestral excerpts:
- Select your instrument.
- Read the audition recording instructions carefully.
- Locate the excerpt for your ensemble.
- Record your performance.
- Upload to YouTube as unlisted.
- Send your audition video link to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Principal positions are available to strings, winds, brass, and percussion players in Symphony Orchestra, and to strings players in Preparatory Orchestra.
Principal players receive a wonderful opportunity to hone their leadership and communication skills by having greater interaction with each other and the conductor.
Symphony Orchestra members that play a principal audition are eligible to be selected for the Virtuosi Ensemble, a chamber orchestra of our principal players and upcoming leaders. Virtuosi members play 3 additional concerts per year (some of which include additional scholarship stipends), including an entire classical symphony, and Handel’s Messiah.
Principal auditions are held in September after rehearsals begin (usually during the second week of rehearsal). Candidates will show exceptional preparation and commitment in their ensembles. The principal audition will include two unprepared excerpts from the entire semester’s repertoire, and two brief interview questions.
If you will be absent for principal auditions, please e-mail email@example.com for instructions.